Twenty two years ago today, Darrell and I tied the knot. We’ve had wonderful times during those years, and I hope that we have at least twice as many more years together to have even more. After being with one person for that long, it’s so easy to take one another for granted and to let the little things, that in truth do not really matter, take up a lot of precious time and energy. Here are just the first twenty-two things I thought of when I thought about what a great husband I have (there are more!).
- You kiss me in the morning even when I have morning breath.
- You know how to fix just about anything.
- You always answer my questions about politics or history—stuff that I should know, but don’t—patiently and don’t make me feel stupid.
- You love dogs.
- You know how to build awesome decks and remodel bathrooms.
- You show compassion towards people that other people ignore.
- You try to make me happy every day.
- You go with the kids to shop for presents when it’s my birthday or Christmas.
- You never complain about my housekeeping, even when you should.
- You help the kids with their math homework.
- You always drive the kids to school, even though it inconveniences you.
- You don’t complain when I watch my ghost shows, even though I know you don’t really like them.
- You never say no to Italian food.
- You always bring me a cup of coffee in the morning.
- You work hard to provide for us.
- You endure going to the doctor and having wires attached to you so that you can snore less and I can sleep much better.
- You help me be a more loving daughter.
- You are an excellent role model for our kids.
- You are always willing to share the last beer.
- You make me feel beautiful, even on days when I feel dumpy and gross.
- You love to reminisce with me about our good old days together. Bonus: You actually remember stuff.
- You are my voice of reason when I need one.